Faculty and Staff
John Penvenne, P.E.
During 30 years as a practicing engineer in California (Santa Cruz and San Luis Obispo), John has completed numerous design/development projects in support of commercial products, scientific laboratories and oceanographic research. After working for Hewlett Packard and a few small technology firms, John helped launch two successful start-ups in the 1990's. Since 1998, he has maintained an active engineering consultancy on the central coast.
John is a graduate of Duke University's Pratt School of Engineering and he holds a Masters Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from UCSB. John is a registered Electrical Engineer in California. He began teaching at Cal Poly in 2014.
- embedded, real-time & autonomous systems
- industrial automation & motion control
- sensors & electronics for environmental monitoring
- oceanographic instrumentation, primarily acoustics
- engineering documentation & technical writing
- BRAE 133 - Introduction to Engineering Design Graphics
- BRAE 232 - Agricultural Structures Planning
- BRAE 324 - Principles of Agricultural Electrification
- BRAE 328 - Measurements and Computer Interfacing
- BRAE 345 - Aerial Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
- BRAE 348 - Energy for a Sustainable Society
- BRAE 425 - Computer Controls for Agriculture
- EE/CPE 329 - Programmable Logic and Microprocessor-Based Systems Design
- IME 356 - Manufacturing Automation
- MSCI 330 - Technologies for Ocean Discovery
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers [IEEE]
- IEEE Oceanic Engineering Society [OES]
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society [RAS]